Welcome to Vagari’s 7th winter of sailing. We have put 8,000 miles under Vagari’s keel during those cruises but this year like last year won’t be a high mileage year. We just don’t have the lust for the long cruises that we did when we started cruising but we still enjoy living on board and sailing near our homeport. Welcome aboard! We hope you enjoy our blog. Your comments, questions and suggestions are appreciated and encouraged.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Cruising [krooz ing] verb- present participle (1) Repairing your boat in exotic anchorages

Being vigilant is a necessary part of cruising. Not only keeping a sharp lookout but also checking the boat systems for any early signs of problems. So a couple of days before we were going to depart La Paz while checking over the engine I checked the level of the transmission fluid. It was tad high just as it has been since the fluid was replaced last fall.

As I screwed the dipstick into the transmission case it didn’t tighten up, it just keep turning. The threaded part of the cap had separated from the top. Worse the threads were stuck in the transmission case. It was difficult to remove the top part and the dipstick itself because an exhaust hose runs just above the transmission. I did get the top and the dipstick out but was left with the threaded part in the case.

I ran the engine to see if the fluid would come out of the small dipstick hole in the threaded part. It sure did so I had to get the threaded portion out and make a plug that could stand the vibration of the engine.

Rhea had the winning idea to get the threaded part out. I used a serrated blade from my Leatherman tool. I jammed it in the center opening and rotated. Out it came. Yea for Rhea.

I put out a call on my short-range radio on the “hailing” channel. Most cruisers keep this channel on all day. I described the part I needed and asked who the local dealer was for my engine.

There is a dealer in town and a mechanic who works at another marina who is a certified Yanmar Diesel mechanic. I had used him once for some radio cabling work. I called the other marina and asked if they thought the mechanic would have the part. No, he doesn’t have any parts “especially not an esoteric part” like that but she said the Yanmar dealer is right across the street -- I will call and ask. The line was busy but she gave me the phone number.

The dealer didn’t have one but a cruiser friend called on the radio with two suggestions. I had started to take a balsa wood conical plug and cut it down to size. Cruisers carry these plugs in case one of our fittings that go thru the hull to let seawater in or out breaks. We can jam the plug in the opening; the balsa wood expands and makes a temporary seal. I tested my wood plug and it worked.

However my friend’s suggestion sounded like a better idea but I needed a part from a marine store. I hailed a marine store they -- had just what I wanted.

So three and a half hours after I checked the transmission; fifteen dollars in cab fares, twelve dollars in parts and just a couple of words I wouldn’t say in front of my Mother we are ready for sea.

Another morning in an exotic place.

No comments: