Welcome to Vagari’s 7th winter of sailing. We have put 8,000 miles under Vagari’s keel during those cruises but this year like last year won’t be a high mileage year. We just don’t have the lust for the long cruises that we did when we started cruising but we still enjoy living on board and sailing near our homeport. Welcome aboard! We hope you enjoy our blog. Your comments, questions and suggestions are appreciated and encouraged.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

3rd letter to the kids. Spring of 04 shakedown cruise

What do you do all Day?

Good question, with no job I wondered the same thing.

Wednesday (6/16) left the house at 4:50 AM. Seven hours later after a quick border crossing we were at the boat.

We unloaded the truck including the heavy generator set (I got some help) and the Portabote. By chance we met the canvas man and gave him out material and the old sail cover. Hope to have the new cover in a few days. While Rhea put things away I took the old dinghy and related stuff off the boat and put it into the truck.

By 3:30 we were wasted, the sun is very hot here, and went to JC’s for lunch/dinner. Did a quick shop for perishables. Then back to the boat to find the place to mount the Portabote. Typical sailboat situation, to mount the Portabote we had to move something and find a place for that so we…. An hour or two later we had that project done and I think have a good place for our dinghy. We also have a clear deck in front of the mast, which will be very useful when we are cruising.

We did the necessary mechanical things to turn the boat back on, electrical, plumbing, open thru hull fittings, check for leaks/problems etc. get the freezer/refrigerator going and called it a day.

Thursday (6/17) The first task for the day was two get our two propane tanks filled. That took two and a half hours. The propane truck driver is supposed to eat breakfasts at a place known as the fruitarea at eight. Last trip I spend 30 minutes locating the fruitarea he wasn’t there so I just figured I missed him. Today I’m there at 8 but no propane truck. So I ask and they tell me 8:30. Quick trip to the bank to fill up on pesos and I’m back by 8:30. No truck. They now say 9. No truck at 9. They tell me to go the outdoor taco stand next door. An old man with good English skills says he comes at different times but he will come today. Ok, so I leave my tanks and head for the marina. 200 yards later I see the propane tank going up a very steep hill into an exclusive residential area. Retrieve my tanks and chase down the truck. At the top of the hill overlooking the Sea I flag the truck down. Three men in the cab, 15 minutes later we are all good friends and my tanks are full, I settled the 36-peso charge for 50 pesos, which was the smallest bill I had, and everybody is happy. By 10:30 I’m back on Vagari. Give the old dinghy to our boat guy (who took the bus all the way from Guaymas hoping to find some work) He will call his wife to pick up the dinghy. Mount the BBQ on the stern rail for the first time, tie down the generator set, and figure out a way to run the outboard motor in fresh water so the saltwater won’t corrode the inside during storage.

Another lunch/dinner out at a place with a WI-FI connection to get our email (thanks Kim for the updates). We organize the two deck boxes looking for something we think is missing. I spend an hour or so finding out what papers we need and getting our documents together so Vagari can leave this port district and go across the Sea to another port district. Rhea works below decks organizing and cleaning.

By 6 PM we are done for the day. We have crackers and chicken salad for dinner. By 8 PM she is in bed too tired for our usual evening classical music CD. I’m not far behind.

No comments: