Welcome to Vagari’s 7th winter of sailing. We have put 8,000 miles under Vagari’s keel during those cruises but this year like last year won’t be a high mileage year. We just don’t have the lust for the long cruises that we did when we started cruising but we still enjoy living on board and sailing near our homeport. Welcome aboard! We hope you enjoy our blog. Your comments, questions and suggestions are appreciated and encouraged.

Friday, December 21, 2007

A Few Days in Chamela Bay

Vagari is anchored off a small town in Chamela Bay. The main drag is paved but you couldn't tell it by looking because a sewer line is being installed right down the center. It's encouraging when a small village is concerned about pollution. Didn't used to be that way.

 

Let me tell you a quick tale from yesterday.

 

I have had a cold and ran out of Robitussin. Just after a late lunch I see a building on the town square marked "Pharmacy" with a hand painted sign saying "Open 24 hours. We speak English". The front of the store is a metal roll down garage door type thing that is closed. In the center is a small cutout door about 51/2' tall but its open.  So I stick my head inside.  Its dark inside but its definitely a pharmacy.  I climb inside and say hola then again louder. Nobody around so I start looking at the shelves which are just like a grocery store. Everything is in alphabetical order. Lots of interesting things to fix aliments I don't even want to think about. So I find a bottle of Robitussin and put it on the counter.

 

In a minute or less a cute young girl about 10 years old appears.  Se asks me in perfect English if that is all I want. Turns out she was born in Chicago, IL and just moved here two years ago. Yes she does miss the snow!  My small bottle cost just under ten dollars US.

 

With Tom gone we have been relaxing onboard and going into town for lunch or taking a dinghy ride to explore the bay and a bird island that is a hatchery for bobbies and some other birds. We try to swim every day off the back of the boat.

 

The weather is very settled so tomorrow we plan to go 30 miles south to another large bay that usually has a large number of cruisers anchored.



Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary! Check it out!

No comments: